- Who is eligible for the text messaging program?
- What kind of information will I have to provide to join?
- Will Caterpilly ever call me?
- Why is the Long Term Goal so important?
- How are the Short Term Goals different?
- How long does it take to make a habit?
- How does the program work once I’ve joined?
- When do I start receiving the text messages?
- How do I stop receiving messages?
- I’m really motivated! How do I get the most out of the program?
- Is it possible to change my Long Term Goal on my Member page?
- Can I choose more than one Short Term Goal a day?
Who is eligible for the text messaging program?Back to Top
The Caterpilly text messaging program is designed for adults and young adults who want to improve their health and wellbeing. Anyone at least 13 years old with an unlimited text messaging plan is eligible. If you do not have an unlimited texting plan you may still be eligible but you should contact your mobile phone company to learn about their text messaging rates.
What kind of information will I have to provide to join?Back to Top
Will Caterpilly ever call me?Back to Top
Why is the Long Term Goal so important?Back to Top
Great question! Before you start a journey you need to know your destination and setting your Long Term Goal does that. Additionally, we ask you to attach personal meaning to your Long Term Goal so that you can engage your emotional brain which will increase the chances that you will keep the promises you make to yourself.
How are the Short Term Goals different?Back to Top
Healthy Habits are daily behaviors that over time become fairly automatic. These daily behaviors are your Short Term Goals. If healthy habits are the yellow brick road to success then the daily Short Term Goals are the bricks on that journey! But there is a trick to making your short term goals….they must be SPECIFIC! For example, simply saying “I will get all of work done today” won’t cut it. A better statement could be “I will turn off my phone and computer alerts while I am studying in the library this afternoon”. See our Healthy Behaviors section to get more inspiration.
How long does it take to make a habit?Back to Top
There is a myth that it takes 21 days to create a new habit, however, more recent evidence indicates that the time period is more like 2 – 8 months depending on the change you are trying to make. This time frame makes sense because embedding new learning to the point that it becomes nearly automatic requires the brain to grow new neural pathways. The good news is whether you have slips or setbacks your brain retains memory of your previous efforts. So it’s always better to have started moving towards your goals than not to have started at all!
How does the program work once I’ve joined?Back to Top
- You will record your Long Term goal and it’s meaning to you. This will become the title of your private Member page.
- You will receive 3 text messages a day specifically designed to promote behavioral change. The morning text reminds you of your long term goal and will ask you to identify your specific Short Term goal for the day. The mid-afternoon text is a check-in that provides encouragement and a moment to evaluate your day. The evening text will ask if you met your Short Term goal for the day. You will respond by texting “yes” or “no” and you will receive a response back from us! See our Healthy Behaviors page to get the hang of creating Long and Short Term Goals.
- You will be able to monitor your progress on your private Member page. You will begin to see how your daily behaviors create your future!
When do I start receiving the text messages?Back to Top
How do I stop receiving messages?Back to Top
If at any time you want to stop receiving text messages, you can unsubscribe from receiving text messages by replying “STOP” to the Caterpilly phone number.
Contact our support team for assistance with any part of this process.
I’m really motivated! How do I get the most out of the program?Back to Top
Evidence shows us that those people who prepare, commit, announce, and monitor become successful “changers”. You can prepare by assessing your environment and making adjustments so that it reflects your intentions (time to clean out that pantry!) Make the commitment to this journey…big time! “Announce and share your plan with supportive friends and family. Using our Facebook link is a great way to do this! Monitor your progress daily on your Members page. Also, stay inspired by visiting the Video Library and Book Shelf.
Is it possible to change my Long Term Goal on my Member page?Back to Top
Can I choose more than one Short Term Goal a day?Back to Top
Yes. However, when you are just starting, practice with just one specific goal a day. If you find that you have easy success with this, then by all means go for more!